Saturday, January 16, 2010

Another milestone - yippee!

This is Rob, and I have high jacked the blog since Ginger very cleverly got me to agree to let her go shopping for the very first attempt at having the boys sleep in toddler beds. Well played, Sweetie. Very well played.

So here is the rundown. Ginger and I took off the crib tents this morning and converted the cribs to toddler beds. The boys also got their first pillows! Right now it is 1:45 and the past hour has gone something like this:

12:45 - Win ends story time in the middle of One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish because he stood up in his crib for the 528 time. Daddy's gotta enforce some boundaries, right?

12:53 - Daddy back into the bedroom for the first time. Win has ripped down the paper lantern over his bed and is now playing catch with Wes. Win was perched on the corner of his crib leaning over toward Wes with two outstretched arms. Traumatic head injury narrowly averted. Daddy collects lantern, moves cribs farther apart, and tells the boys to lay down and go to sleep using his serious voice.

1:03 - Ginger calls. Doesn't seem to be gloating, but I think it is a facade. Sounds from the bedroom: THUD.....Waaaaahhhhhh! Charlie takes the first header out of his crib. When Daddy comes through the door both Win and Wes are riding their crib rails like horses. More serious voice. Comfort Charlie. Head wound, yes. Traumatic, no. Boys lay back down

1:06 - 1:38 - Monkey party rages in bedroom. Daddy sticks head in at 1:31 to get Charlie and Wes off of the mini-blinds.

1:39 - Daddy enters to survey situation. All pillows are on the floor. All sleepers on are the floor. By the grace of God, all diapers are on. Daddy smells poop. Changes Winston. More serious voice in a lower octave. Sleepers go on backwards. Corporal punishment is threatened (but in an appropriate manner, consistent with MA DSS guidelines for beating your children).

1:45 - Daddy begins to blog to a steady stream of unhappy editorial from upstairs ("All done big-boy bed....Daaaaadddddy! Blaaaannnkkkeeee!). Editorial comments devolve into indiscriminate crying.

1:55 - Daddy ends blog post to collect blankets and otherwise soothe grumpy tots. Contemplates Tylenol for the boys and Jack Daniels for himself.

I am giving 5:1 to anyone willing to bet that the boys will sleep this afternoon. Somebody wanta piece of that action?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob - I am crying from laughter. I know it is not funny at all, but the way you describe it is hilarious!!

Hang in there!!

Love
Lala
BTW - NASTY stomach bug working through the Powers family and White Oak Drive as we speak. NOT fun.

Anonymous said...

I observed Liam being very close to getting one of his leg over his crib railing today. Sounds like that is only beginning. Please make sure your boys don't get online with Liam anytime soon to share their tricks!

'Bias

Anonymous said...

Rob -

Try Jack Daniels for the boys, Tylenol for yourself! I think this is also in accordance with MA DDS guidelines (or whatever that was.) Hey, it worked for MY father and his 9 kids...

(I know how parents just LOVE advice from the child-less!)

Thanks for the update! And to think, I got to chat with Ginger doing her errands while you were doing this...

Lizzie

Kathryn Harding said...

Rob - I am laughing my behind off - this is just something I can only picture in the movies!!!!!! I am in tears!!!! I haven't spoken to you in a while but saw the blog in one of my folders and felt the need to see how you, Ginger and the boys were doing - OMG what a hoot - you have a great 2010 and take care!!! Kathryn Harding

Unknown said...

I'm with your pal Lala. This is hysterical. So funny I read it twice and thought 'This guy's a swell writer, hey I need a copywriter for a TV spot...I know where he sits..." Nice job

Anonymous said...

Nice article you got here. It would be great to read more about this theme. Thanks for posting this material.