Sunday, July 29, 2007

A note from a great nurse

Shanna, a NICU nurse here at Mass General that has been taking super care of our our boys, asked to be able to post some info about how the boys are doing, and we are happy to let her do so. How could we dream of saying "no," given the exceptional care that she and the other NICU nurses have given our boys. We owe her (and all of them) far more than simply letting them post here.

Below are Shanna's words:

Hello, my name is Shanna and I am privileged to be one of the many nurses in the NICU at MGH caring for the Bunn Trips. I was in the delivery room when all three were born and I was responsible for "C", soon to be known as Charlie, or as we nurses have been calling him "Chuck". Although I have been keeping a close eye on all three boys, I have only been taking care of Chuck since he was first born, so I know him best of all (after Ginger of course!!). Ever since Charlie was born he has been moving non-stop and very very feisty! He has, what I believe, the loudest voice of all three boys and he is not shy to protest when he doesn't like something! Just the other day I was down the hall and heard what I thought was the cry of a full term baby, come to find out that it was Charlie crying because he had filled his pants! I think Rob was a little scared!!

Charlie has the lightest, blondest hair of all three boys. Both his brothers have dark/brown hair, but Charlie is extremely fair, even his eye brows! and I believe his eyes are blue (even though most newborns are born with blue eyes.)His eyes are exquisite and incredibly inquisitive, not missing a thing when he is awake, which is most of the time. Since all three boys are all individuals in their own right, I must say that Charlie has moved along the quickest, although I may be a little partial:))) He has taken all of feeds in the last 24 hrs. almost all by mouth, which is absolutely incredible for someone born at his gestational age. He continues to amaze us all. I think he is trying to show off to his big brothers, Wes and Win that just because he's the youngest, he may not be the slowest!!!

I must say that over the past few days I have gotten to know the Bunn family and Rob and Ginger are an incredible team. They are amazing together and Wesley, Win and Charlie are very lucky to have been born into such a warm and loving family. I have been honored to care for these miracles, for which they truly are.

Sent with love, Shanna, RN.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.