Thursday, July 3, 2008

One year ago...

...I was in the hospital watching Boston prepare for the July 4th celebrations. I had a routine visit (on July 2nd) with our high-risk OB and was informed that I was having contractions. Who knew? I was VERY pregnant (30.5 weeks) and was constantly uncomfortable, so I couldn't feel the contractions. So we were sent across the street to the hospital. I was hooked up to contraction monitors, but when they do this, they also monitor the heart rates of the babies. One machine can only monitor two babies, so they had to find a second machine to monitor all that I had going on. Rob would turn to me as he was watching the monitor and ask if I felt anything. I would say no, and he'd inform me that I was having a huge contraction. When you're in constant pain, apparently you don't feel additional pain. And wouldn't you know, but our wonderful OB walked in to check on me during a long, strong contraction. So I was admitted to Labor & Delivery on the spot. All the doctors working that shift came in to meet me and have me sign forms for delivery, but I kept telling them to not worry about me since I wasn't delivering and that I was going home. Thankfully, after an overnight with less frequent contractions, I was sent to the anti-/post-partum floor. I had a room that overlooked the Charles River and the Hatch Shell, where Boston holds it's enormous July 4th celebration. It was now July 3rd and it was actually a wonderful sight to watch the city get ready.

After many more exams, steroid shots to expedite the boys' lung development and one more night, I was released from the hospital on the morning of July 4th, with the instructions that I would be on bed rest at home. I was so fortunate that I even got to go home, so we celebrated by watching the fireworks and Boston Pops from our couch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow guys, its just amazing how much life has changed in a year. Your new home looks adorable! What an awesome back yard for the boys to roll around. I love your orange cream-sicle walls! We'll be coming up to Beantown mid to late August and hopefully we can get together!!!